While searching for firewood for heating, a man unfortunately fell and broke his neck and lay motionless in the snow. But this person was lucky to survive miraculously for 20 hours thanks to the warmth from the pet dog.
This heart-touching story happened 2 years ago in Petoskey City, Michigan, USA. At the time, Bob had to welcome New Year alone in an empty house, as his wife had just moved a few days to care for parents with dementia, and her daughter has a separate family should move out to live.
That night, Bob quietly sat alone by the fireplace to warm, next to her pet dog Kelsey, 5 years old, lying quietly, snuggled softly at her feet. By 11 o’clock, the fire in the furnace weakened, and the firewood in the house was gone, so Bob decided to go out for a while to check the firewood.
Although the outdoor temperature was -4.4 degrees Celsius, due to the pile of firewood not far from home, he was only wearing a thin shirt, his feet pierced his sandals running out there. But due to the dark road and slippery ice and snow, Bob carelessly fell to the ground and broke his neck.
He managed to stand up but was helpless. Bob tried to call for help, but no one heard it. Even the nearest neighbor is about 400 meters from his home.
Accordingly, right after discovering the owner lay sprawled motionless on the ground, Kelsey rushed over, using his whole body and thick warm fur to cover Bob from getting cold. He barked incessantly, occasionally sniffing his nose and licking his face and hands to keep warm. It tried to keep an eye out, not to put him in a coma.
About 19 hours after the fall, Bob gradually became unconscious. His body temperature was severely lowered. Bob didn’t even have the strength to open his mouth to call for help and gradually fell asleep, but Kelsey still did not give up. It frantically licked and scratched his feet to wake Bob, simultaneously barking.
Fortunately, about an hour later, a neighbor of Bob accidentally discovered him when he was on the way to buy eggs. At that moment, Kelse barked loudly, wagging his tail in joy when he saw someone coming to his rescue.
Immediately, Rich called an ambulance and used a towel to keep his neighbor warm. Bob was later taken to a hospital in which his body temperature was below 21 degrees Celsius, atrial fibrillation and a herniated disc due to a fall. What surprised the doctors, however, was that during such a long time, Bob was able to survive without freezing.
The doctors then quickly operated on his operation. Luckily, the surgery was very successful, although often spinal injuries are very easy to cause permanent paralysis. Bob recovered very quickly and could even walk.
Bob, Kelsey and the doctor after successful surgery
However, the doctor also said he still needs to continue undergoing long-term physical therapy to recover to the original state.