A man has just had a heart surgery after being infected by a popcorn that got stuck in his teeth during his movie night.
While watching a movie and eating popcorn in September 2019, Adam Martin (from the UK) got a popcorn stuck in his lower teeth. During the next three days, the 41-year-old man and father of three children could not remove the stuck popcorn.
Adam Martin after the surgery
A week later, Martin began to sweat night, tired, headache. The firefighter believes it is a sign of the flu but is actually a manifestation of endocarditis – a form of infection of the heart valve and the lining of the heart’s chamber when bacteria enter the bloodstream through the mouth. , skin, digestive system and some other parts of the body.
In October, Martin’s symptoms did not subside, he went to the family doctor. The doctor detected a heart murmur and suggested that he go home to watch more. Seeing that his condition did not improve, Martin went to the Royal Cornwall hospital.
“I feel something is serious. I slept a lot and felt extremely tired. My legs are sore. I was really worried when I was admitted to the hospital, ”Martin said.
Magnetic resonance imaging shows that Martin’s heart is suffering from severe inflammation. He was immediately transferred to a hospital. An open-heart operation lasted 7 hours to repair the mitral valve and replace the infected aorta immediately afterwards.
Adam had to have heart surgery just because of having a popcorn in his teeth
“If I go to the dentist right away, there will be no heart surgery. I had a bloody experience. Anyway, I was lucky enough that my life would not be affected, ”Martin said.
Hellen, Martin’s wife, said that her husband’s tooth infection would be completely cured by the early use of antibiotics. “When you have signs of toothache, bleeding gums, abscess, you should see a doctor immediately. Because gums are the way to bring bacteria to your heart, ”Hellen said.