A 10-year-old student in India died after being bitten by a venomous snake in the classroom, while teachers and administrators were accused of behaving irresponsibly in the incident.
According to the BBC, the family and friends of the victim Shehla Sherin have accused teachers of acting irresponsibly leading to the death of a 10-year-old girl.
According to the witness, Sherin said he was bitten by a venomous snake at 3 pm, local time on 11/20. Local media said the snake hid inside a hole in the concrete yard.
Sherin’s classmate said the teacher did not believe the victim was bitten by a snake and did not agree to take her to seek medical help.
Shehala Sherin was only taken to hospital from the school an hour after being bitten and once her leg turned blue, media reports said.
Her teacher, since suspended, ignored her cries of pain and protests from other pupils and carried on teaching the lesson Wednesday at the school in Kerala, southern India.
The vice-principal of the school where the victim attended was suspended from work by the local government.
Her parents drove her to four different hospitals but were told there was no anti-venom. She died on the way to a fifth clinic 90km away.
Classmates allege the teachers at the secondary school dismissed the injury as having been caused by a nail, stone or similar object.
Education officials immediately ask all local schools to take testing to ensure the safety of the learning environment.
Several other government agencies including the Kerala State Human Rights Commission are also considering the case.
Students protest in Kerala on Friday over the death of a girl after she was bitten by a snake inside her classroom at Sulthan Bathery. Agence France-Presse
Congressman Rahul Gandhi, the representative of the Wayanad district where Sherin lived, sent a letter to the governor of Kerala state. In his letter, Mr. Gandhi emphasized the serious deterioration of school facilities, and called for compensation for the victims’ families.
About 50,000 people are killed by snakes every year in India, mostly in rural areas, with high mortality rates blamed on a deficiency of health care centres and insufficient stocks of anti-venom.